Governor pressure solenoid and sensor upgrade kit
Covered vehicle models: Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, RAM
Year range: 1996-2008
46re, 47re, 48re, A518, A618, A-518, A-618
This solenoid and sensor kit includes the following items:
- Rostra dual pack shift solenoid – 3-4 and lockup
- HD 50185 Borg Warner governor pressure solenoid
- Rostra governor pressure sensor - transducer temperature sensor
- Output speed sensor
- Sonnax updated 3-4 accumulator spring
- Governor pressure solenoid body gasket
It is very common for these transmissions to have electronic failures. This kit will restore your transmission electronic function to better than factory level. The heavy-duty BorgWarner governor pressure solenoid included in this kit is a huge upgrade over OEM. The added 3-4 accumulator spring in this kit is also a major upgrade. These transmissions commonly had broken springs, which can cause 3-4 shift problems, or even transmission failure.
Typical problem: Wrong gear start. Starts in 2nd or 3rd gear.
Possible DTC – Diagnostic Trouble Codes
- P0748 – Transmission control relay circuit, governor pressure solenoid circuit
- P0753 – 3-4 solenoid circuit, transmission control relay circuit
- P1762 – Governor pressure sensor offset volts high or low
- P1763 – Governor pressure voltage too high
- P1764 – Governor pressure voltage too low
Additionally, you can add the following upgrades to this already amazing kit:
- High quality fluid filter and Duraprene pan gasket
- DNJ Components DCF1 billet governor pressure GM high performance upgrade
- HP Rostra governor pressure sensor – 50-1171 (2000-up)
- HD torque converter clutch (TCC) lockup boost valve spring retainer - Sonnax or Superior – Fixes loss of 4th gear and torque converter lockup fluid pressure.
- External wire harness pigtail repair end - Plug, 12" extension of wires, and connectors
- ATSG rebuild manual
- Lubegard Platinum synthetic additive - Insider tip: Many shops use this synthetic supplement in every freshly rebuilt transmission to keep them on the road past the warranty.
The shift control solenoids and sensors contained within this kit can all be installed with the transmission in the vehicle during a routine fluid change
This electrical upgrade package works in the following applications:
- Ram Truck - 1500, 2500, 3500, gas and Cummins diesel
- Ram Van – 1500, 2500, 3500
- Dakota and Durango with 5.9L
- Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.9L
This full electronics set will work in the following years: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008
If the transmission is not burned and you continue to have issues, you could have a stuck shift valve. In these cases, you would be required to remove the valve body and free the stuck valve to fix the problem.
The governor pressure solenoid contained in this kit is packed in fluid from the factory. This is the only way to ensure they are functioning upon installation, with no sticking valves. It should be noted that changing a solenoid on an already burned transmission will not fix the transmission. If this item does not fix your problem, it will not mean that this item is defective, but more likely you have a problem that needs a different solution. If your fluid is burned or your transmission is slipping, this solenoid will not fix the problem. A full rebuild will be needed and at that point, after the rebuild, this new solenoid kit should be installed.